Saturday, December 18, 2010

Spricket Drain

After recently becoming interested in urban exploring (special thanks to VT Underground), I decided to start venturing into pipes, tunnels, drains, and any other kind of entrance to the underground world.  I have done my fair share of exploring off-limits areas and trespassing on private property, but it just occurred to me that I should record and document my discoveries with other people so they might see how exciting and crazy it is to explore passageways into the unknown. I only found info on a few good storm drains in Charlottesville to explore, and since their locations are largely undisclosed, you really have to get out there and find them on your own (but that's part of the fun).

My first drain excursion took place earlier today. My sister and I left the house around midnight and walked a short distance to the Rivanna Trail.  Here's a picture of a major landmark across the Rivanna River in case you were planning on searching for the drain:


After climbing down a steep river bank and over some chunks of concrete, I arrived at the entrance of Spricket Drain (technically it's an exit, since water was flowing out of it, into a deep fishing hole and then joining up with the River).  The drain is made of round concrete pipe (RCP) and an almost nonexistant trickle of water runs down the middle. It sits about 2 feet above the surface of the water pool. The smaller diameter made it barely possible to stand up, although my back was stooped over 90 degrees (and I'm 5'7"). A skateboard would make travel much quicker and easier but I didn't have one in my backpack. For this trip, my equipment load was pretty lightweight (LED headlamp, 100 lumen LED flashlight, leather gloves, and Gore-Tex boots). Next time I'm bringing extra water and food, and a first aid kit. Always be prepared...

A short ways into the pipe, I lost sight of the entrance as the ground became slightly curved and sloped upwards.  After several minuted of hunched-over walking I reached a small cinderblock junction room that was about 6 feet wide, 4 feet deep, and tall enough to comfortably stand in. A manhole was directly overhead, and a small pipe exited off to one side. The main pipe continued straight a couple feet off the wet floor of the room.

 
More RCP and several more minutes of stooped walking later, and I reach a second room almost exactly like the previous one, except there was a 90 degree left turn of more RCP (same diameter). Lots of camel spiders (or "sprickets" as I called them) dotted the concrete pipe's surface near the 2nd junction room, and this did not settle well with my sister who refused to continue any further. She's scared to death of the creepy little things. Go figure.  We turned back and were soon out in the fresh air. No sooner had I switched off my headlamp when a cop car slowly drove by less than 100 feet away. At that point I was holding a wet stencil covered in fluorescent orange spray paint...luckily he didn't see us or else I'd be facing "Trespassing with Intent to Vandalize"...the law makes it sound so evil. Later today I will continue the journey solo...

No comments:

Post a Comment